Updated: Jul 23, 2020
Whenever I’m at my local Asian market, I always stop by a specific Korean bakery that makes this amazing cream bread. Now, I only make my French Toast in this style. Since it has extra cream, it gets oh soooo crispy and golden without need for extra butter. But most times I still use it :)
The key to ANY good French toast is the RATIO of egg, milk and sugar. Make sure to quickly dip your bread (NOT TOO SOGGY) in your egg, and grab some pantry staples like cinnamon, nutmeg to add to the party. I balance the sweetness of particular french toast with a tart berry compote, and if I’m feeling a bit naughty, add some Lucuma ice cream too. (Lucuma fruit post in the works)
6 large eggs
4 tablespoons sugar, plus ½ cup for compote
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter for the pan, plus more for serving
Eight (1/2-inch thick) slices cream bread
⅓ cup each of blueberries, strawberries and blackberries
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
½ cup water
1. Make your compote first, then tackle the assembly of the bread.
First, add your fresh fruit, apple cider vinegar, water, and ½ cup sugar, to a pot and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Let the sugars and liquid reduce by half, until fruit is tender but not falling apart. You can add ginger or cinnamon to spice things up. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add milk and whisk to blend.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, swirling occasionally until event distributed and foaming subsides. This can take a few minutes
4. Meanwhile soak 2 slices of bread in egg bath, turning, until saturated.
5. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook, swirling occasionally, until browned on bottom side, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle top side of bread with sugar, flip, and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until browned on second side, about 3 minutes longer.
6. Keep them puppies warm in a oven let at 250, and repeat with your bread.
7. Assemble your bread, and top with warm berry compote and ice cream if you like! Helado de Lucuma goes well.